Here is a simple all-in-one meal to help you use up some of this summery squash. You can easily use tofu crumbles or ground turkey, or any protein you like to make these zucchini shells a complete meal, or a hearty side dish or first course.
Don't forget the simple accompaniment of minted yogurt for an elegant finishing touch.
Stuffed Zucchini Shells
4 medium zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise
12 oz ground turkey or tofu crumbles
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1" piece of ginger, peeled and grated
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp turbinado or light brown sugar
3 scallions (green onions) sliced, greens and whites separated
2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
salt and pepper
* Scoop out the seeds and part of the flesh of the zucchini. Chop the flesh and set aside.
* Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a pan over medium-high heat and saute the turkey with the white parts of the onions and the garlic, stirring until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off excess fat.
* Stir in the zucchini flesh, the spices, and the green onions and continue cooking for about 5 more minutes.
* Place zucchini "shells" cut side up on a baking sheet lined with foil. Fill the zucchini "shells" with equal portions of the meat mixture, and top with pine nuts.
* Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until the zucchini "shells" are tender.
To serve, top each shell with a drizzle of minted yogurt or sour cream.