Friday, March 14, 2008

The Henry County Challenge

I want to thank the gang out at Henry County for being such a great group. On March 13 I had my second Healthy Cooking Demonstration there, and I can't WAIT to do the next one. What a fun (and funny) group of men and women who obviously love food and eagerly participate in the dialogue!

As you guys requested I'm going to post the recipes that we covered. The Curry Chickpeas with Tomatoes and Spinach in a Coconut Broth is about to be a Life Chef classic.

We also made great use of new Food Find of mine: quick cooking barley by Quaker. It's done in 10 minutes! Quaker also carries the brand Mother's who also makes a quick cooking barley. This whole grain lent a twist to the traditional Mediterranean parsley salad in Barley Tabbouleh with Tomatoes and Olives.

Then we made a simple and easy Strawberry & Oat Crumble -- a quick and healthy dessert that you can whip up any night.

Finally we made a modified version of the old fashioned Apple Cider Vinegar Tonic -- made from unfiltered, organic apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, organic brown sugar and water -- that packed a SERIOUS punch. I admit, I made it strong but I figured if you guys can handle it at THAT potency, then making it at home will be a snap!

Read more about the pros and cons of Apple Cider Vinegar. Here's the basic recipe: Life Chef's Apple Cider Vinegar Tonic

*** Warning: vinegar is very acidic and can be uncomfortable on an empty stomach. If you have a history of irritation of your esophagus, stomach or digestive tract, eliminate the cayenne pepper. For your initial taste, sip the tonic to know how whether or not it is right for you and your stomach! And remember I'm a chef not a doctor and any health claims made by makers and promoters of Apple Cider Vinegar are just that "claims. ***


Now here comes the Henry County Challenge...
Enough participants were wowed by the tonic to want to try it for themselves. I'm a fan of it personally, but I'd love to try it for 30 days straight, and some of the Henry County group was game as well.

So here is the Henry County Challenge: Drink the Apple Cider Vinegar Tonic once a day for 30 days. Report your experience here on Life Chef's Food for Life in the "comments" section.

Let's see if this stuff is as good as it's reputation.

*** Disclaimer: I am a chef, not a doctor. If you have health issues (acid reflux, GERD, or are taking certain medications) please consult a physician. I am not posting the Apple Cider Vinegar Tonic as "cure" for anything (regardless of my own bias).***


I WELCOME your comments regarding the Henry County Challenge.

No comments: