Saturday, December 19, 2009

Chicken in Sage Sauce

Photo-0822.jpeg
To me, sage is an herb that packs quite a punch most of the time. However, on a recent trip to the farmers market I picked up a couple of bunches that are really mild and that's nice because I can fearlessly use sage without worrying about drowning out other flavors in the dish. It's also a good lesson in that you should always taste your ingredients before using them, especially if procured from a farm or organic source, because unlike mass-produced genetically modified foods, each crop can have nuances of flavor and texture.

This dish is a great use of leftover chicken, which I seem to always have on hand because I typically roast a chicken at least once a week.

1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp evoo
1/2 bunch sage, chopped
1/4 cup chicken stock or water
1/4 half and half or heavy cream
9 oz chicken breast, cooked
salt & pepper

Saute onion, garlic and sage in a sauce pan until fragrant and garlic is golden. Add the stock/water and heavy cream, season with salt and pepper.
Photo-0817.jpeg Add cooked chicken and continue cooking until sauce reduces and thickens slightly. Serve with a rice side dish like a pilaf.

4 comments:

motherrimmy said...

This looks delicious. You can't go wrong with a combination like sage and chicken. I love it!

Alisa@Foodista said...

It does look delicious.I'll keep this recipe in mind when I have leftovers from our roasted chicken too

RomeroManuel said...

What can I use in place of the cream?

asata (a.k.a. Life Chef) said...

Thanks y'all!

Soy milk will work in place of cream. It reduces well if you want to make creamy soups and sauces.