Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Homemade Falafel


I did take a shortcut: I used canned garbanzo beans (chick peas) instead of cooking dried beans. Just didn't have that kind of time. However, draining and rinsing canned beans gets rid of a lot of that "muddy" flavor as well has decreases the amount of sodium in the beans. I will call this another 1.0 version of a dish since I intend to remake it, this time w/ 1-2 Tbsp less flour. I think I added too much which made the interior texture just a bit gummy. Next time I'll play with the spice profile a little bit too. Other than that, these were quick and easy thanks to two kitchen tools: my Fry Daddy and my food processor!

Homemade Falafel

1 16 oz can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
1/2 large onion, large diced
2 Tbsp fresh parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 Tbsp flour

Combine all ingredients except baking soda and flour in a food processor and blend until well mixed.
Add baking soda and add flour 2 Tbsp at a time until the mixture has the consistency of a coarse cookie dough that just holds together.

Refrigerate mixture to allow the flavors and gluten to develop. This will also keep your falafel from falling apart immediately in the pan.
Meanwhile heat oil in a fryer or deep pan to 375 degrees.
Form the mixture into small balls about the size of a large tablespoon, then flatten in your palm.

Fry at 375 degrees, turning once, until golden brown. In a deep fryer they will float when they are nearly done.

1 comment:

Regina said...

Yummy! Can't wait to try this one with my quinoa flour from the farmer's market! I'm a huge fan of doing the chick peas from scratch. 99 cents a bag for the beans...it does take a bit more time via planning but it works nice for an at home working mom! :-D